Friday, September 08, 2006

Football is the most worthless invention since...well... anything, I guess.

Last night's show at The Haven was a good time. All the bands were great, and the 10 or so people who stayed for our set were a lot of fun.
We'd never played with any of these bands before, so it was our first time experiencing the band Mysterioso. Holy crap, were they good.

Please cruise on over to www.purevolume.com/mysterioso immediately and listen to their track called "Don't Panic."

They're something like I've never heard and words cannot even begin to describe.

Now, here's something I've been wanting to type for a while, but just found the motivation for.
We get asked a lot...well, at least I get asked... who our influences are. They assume that we're just a Motion City Soundtrack rip-off until they find out we've been around for 3 years, then assume we're trying to be a reincarnation of Saves The Day until they learn that I never really even listened to them until a year or two ago, so as far as my personal influences go, read on to get all the dirt from my music past.

These 5 records shaped who I am as a musician and a person.
Please buy or download them (legally!) immedately if they aren't already part of your collection. They will not disappoint.

1. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
This is one of the first albums I remember being addicted to. Somewhere along the way I picked up a cassette version and would listen to it almost every day in the car when my sister drove me to school. Their hooks were phenomenal and each song was catchier than the next. To this day I have no idea what half of the songs are about, but in the end, who really cares? Go ahead and tell me that songs like "Champagne Supernova" weren't drug-induced pop gems. This tape was later stolen from my sisters car along with the rest of her music. That was a sad day. Thanks to iTunes, it has returned to my collection.

Other suggested listening by this artist: Definitely, Maybe
Their debut CD which is also a concept album about a rock star who is trying to make it within the industry.

2. Green Day - Dookie
What can I say about this album that hasn't been said 100 times in 100 different languages? When I bought my first portable CD player from a friend, he gave me this CD with it. I had no idea who Green Day was, but this album got spun no less than 3 times a day for the first year that I owned it. It definitely taught me that three chords is all you need to put together a great song. I've moved up to using four chords per song. Perhaps I'll upgrade to five one day. It scares me to think what may have happened if my friend had given me a Barbara Streisand CD instead.

Other suggested listening by this artist: ANYTHING
I'll go ahead and push for "American Idiot" since I'm a sucker for concept albums, but "Insomniac" and "Warning" were awesome pop records as well.

3. The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy
This was actually the second CD I ever purchased. If you were alive back in 1996, then you couldn't escape hearing their radio single "Banditos." In my eyes, this record had three things I loved: Catchy songs, humorous lyrics, and a whole lot of twang. There's not a bad track on this CD and it captures the vibe of driving a broken down car through the Texas desert. Not that I've ever done that, or intend to do so, but you get the idea.

Other suggested listening by this artist: Americano
The Refreshments released one more CD entitled "The Bottle & Fresh Horses" the following year before breaking up. They switched a few members and made a triumphant return as Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. In 2004 they released "Americano" which has a very similar vibe and all around great songs. Our friends in the band Holidaysburg got to open for them when they played in Orlando at The Social. I think we were playing a show the same night and I missed it. Darn.

4. Nirvana - Nevermind
Everyone went through a Nirvana phase right? My best friend growing up hailed Kurt Cobain as the best thing since the best thing and I was forced to listen to them everytime I went to his house. Luckily, the songs grew on me, and I learned that you don't have to be the best singer or musician to sell a bazillion records. Simplicity is key! This record really helped get me through the tough times of Junior High School... wait... looking back, Jr. High School was a cakewalk. But at the time... oh god, the drama!

Other suggested listening by this artist: Incesticide
Equally good songs and lots of them. Just think, if Kurt Cobain was still alive, he'd probably be hanging out with MC Hammer and we wouldn't have the Foo Fighters.

5. Weezer - Weezer (aka The Blue Album)
Yeah, this one was pretty obvious, I know. There was something so comforting in hearing this album and knowing that even though I was the biggest dork in the school, there was still hope for me yet. These songs were some of the deepest pieces of art to ever tingle my eardrums. It still holds up after all these years as a CD I can listen to from start to end and then begin it again once it's finished. Also a great introduction to synthesizers and song structures.

Other suggested listening by this artist: Pinkerton
Weezer's second and last CD, called Pinkerton was very dark and broody but had a raw emotion unlike the first. Each track was full of anguish and clever analogies. I never looked at half-Japanese girls the same way after hearing this. Also, this wasn't Weezer's last CD. Only in my mind. When Matt Sharp left, I LEFT!
Kidding.
Although, there are still some stooges out there who think The Green Album was their first offering. Like any band could break big with "Hash Pipe."

So go get these records and report back to me confirming how right I am about generally everything I say.

No comments: